Skip to main content block


      Niaosong Township is located at the new canal trunk line of Caogong Canal, with abundant water supply and fertile soil, suitable for agricultural development. It is adjacent to the Sanmin District of Kaohsiung City, and the Chengcing Lake Sightseeing Zone was established. During the early days, people from Niaosong worked on farming, and the fertile field once looked after the township people.

      Niaosong Township was originally named Niaosongjiao Village, since there was a large , flourishing Red Fruit Fig Tree, in Taiwanese it was called Niaosong.

    A fig tree is also called Song in Taiwanese; since there were also Chinese bulbul perched on the branches of the tree, hence it was called Niaosong (the place next to the present day Fulong Temple at Wuncian Road in Niaosong Village used to be the resting place for merchants and travelers in the past, hence it was named Niaosongjiao). In January 1946, Niaosong Village was renamed Niaosong Township, with total surface area of 24.5929 km2.

      Roughly 93% of the inhabitants of Niaosong Township came from Cyuanjhou and Jhangjhou of Fujian Province, China. Few of them were Hakka people from Hsinchu and Miaoli. During the early stages of land development, people were often frightened, ill and harassed by bandits. In order to group together and fight off the bandits, the eight villages worshipped the Chihfu Duke of Balong Temple as the spiritual leader. Due to its prominence, villagers worked together to ward off natural
    disasters and human calamities. In order to express appreciation towards the greatness of God, the villagers constructed the magnificent, majestic Balong Temple on the sloped land on the north bank of Chengcing Lake.

      Note: Eight village referred to the eight villages that existed in Niaosong Township during the early days (roughly 1920), including: Niaosong, Renmei (Tiancao Bu), Dajiaotuei (Mengli), Jhenbei Li (Niouchou Bu), Dahua (Dabi, Shanzaijiao), Benguan Li and Cizaijiao etc.